Contact: Ann Twaddle
Telephone: 07825 283004
Aythorpe Roding Village Hall
Essex, CM6 1PP
Aythorpe Roding and the local area.
There are eight Rodings villages in total and they originate from the Saxon invasion of the sixth century when one Hrotha and his tribe, the Hrodingas, sailed up the River Thames and along its tributary river seeking a new home. They settled on the highly fertile soil of the area, creating settlements to the east and west of the river. Both river and villages derive their names from Hroda.
By the time of the Norman Conquest, in 1066, a large part of the area passed into the hands of William the Conqueror, the de Veres and the de Mandevilles who became the Earls of Oxford and Essex. In fact, Friars Grange in Aythorpe Roding was gifted to the monks of Tilty and was acquired by one of Henry VIII’s goldsmiths. Mary Boleyn, the sister of Anne, held a manor in High Roding, later given to Thomas Cranmer whose parish church was one of the first to possess the English Bible.
For centuries the Roding’s remained virtually inaccessible, however they are rich in timber-framed manor houses, farm houses, and thatched cottages dating from Medieval times, and the area retains some comfortable old public houses which offer excellent food and ale – ‘The Axe and Compasses’ within simple walking distance of Aythorpe Roding Village Hall dates back to 1707 and is where stage coaches used to stop en route to London.
Once an area abundant in windmills, only one is left intact with its sails turning – the mid-eighteenth century postmill at Aythorpe Roding is the largest in Essex and is open to the public on the first Sunday of the month from April until September.
The church of Aythorpe Roding is 13th century and four centuries ago; the bell turret was erected in the nave of the church in order to ring when Henry 8th came to the throne.